My name is Charlie, but if your looking for my work, I go by C. E. Dorsett. I write scifi, fantasy, and a touch of horror. I like to play with gothic, steampunk, decopunk, epic fantasy, and wuxia. I love to tell stories and talk about books, movies, series, and music.
Feeling alive is a big part of authentically being ourselves. Everyone of us has something that makes us feel alive.
When I started writing this, Everything louder than Everything Else by Meatloaf from Bat Out of Hell II: Back into Hell came on. I love it when serendipity lends a helping hand.
If the thrill is gone then its time to take it back
I know that I will never be politically correct And I don’t give a damn about my lack of etiquette As far as I’m concerned the world could still be flat And if the thrill is gone then its time to take it back If the thrill is gone then its time to take it back Who am i? Why am I here? Forget the questions someone get me another beer
It is so easy to get caught up in the big questions. We get distracted from living in the search for purpose and meaning. I know what you are thinking, didn’t say that we want meaning and purpose? that those are prerequisites for happiness?
Yes! But we will never find those things by sitting around trying to figure out what they are.
It is more important to live authentically than to be able to describe who you are in words.
It is more important to follow your bliss than to sit around trying to figure out why you are here?
While those are important questions, the answers are learned through action, and not thought.
You gotta learn to dance
Whats the meaning of life? Whats the meaning of it all? You gotta learn to dance Before you learn to crawl You gotta learn to dance Before you learn to crawl
I experience by bliss and live in passion most profoundly when I:
- Am telling stories.
- Attending conventions.
- Listening to music.
- Watching movies and series that matter to me.
I didn’t figure this out by sitting around and thinking about, but through doing it.
I started DMing AD&D in middle school. I loved telling stories so much that I wrote my first novel in 8th grade, my second by 12th. My third and fourth about 2 years apart. I never would have learned how much I loved to tell stories if it wasn’t for AD&D and Vampire: The Masquerade.
I am mortally afraid of public speaking. I never would have started this blog and our podcasts if Shore Leave hadn’t put me on a GLBT in Fandom panel, forcing me to do it. I enjoyed it, and starting blogging and podcasting shortly there after.
The lesson is: We discover our passions by doing things that make us feel alive.
If you are curious about something, try it. If you enjoy it, keep doing it.
Army of the Night
So sign up, all you raw recruits Throw away those designer suits You got your weapons cocked, your targets in your sights There’s a party raging, somewhere in the world You gotta serve your country, gotta service your girl You’re all enlisted in the army of the night
Consider this your draft notice! Somewhere, someone is doing something that will enrich your life to a degree you cannot even imagine.
- Find it
- Figure out what about it you love
- Discover your passion
- Find ways to do more of it
Take it from someone who knows. Authentic living is better than any other high.
I aint in it for…
And I ain’t in it for the power And I ain’t in it for my health I ain’t in it for the glory of anything at all And I sure ain’t in it for the wealth But I’m in it ‘til it’s over And I just can’t stop If you want to get it done, you have to do it yourself And I like my music like I like my life Everything louder than everything else
Always remember what you are doing it for. It isn’t money or power or fame. It is because your heart beats to the rhythm of that drum, and you have to keep the party going.
Life is for the living! If we are not alive, we need to find that spark and ignite it again!
Acting our Age
They say I’m wild and I’m reckless I should be acting my age I’m an impressionable child In a tumultuous world And they say I’m at a difficult stage
But it seems to me to the contrary Of all the crap they’re gonna put on the page That a wasted youth is better by far Then a wise and productive old age
I really truly believe that if we follow our bliss and live our passions, we have actually set ourselves in accord with the cosmos. We are doing what we are here on this earth to do.
Everything in life is a challenge. Are we going to move forward or move back. If moving forward requires us to sell out who we are at our very core, then that is the wrong path.
A youthful spirit and a mature intellect are the most valuable tool we could have in life. Don’t let anyone take them from you, and NEVER give them up!
The three I admire most…
If you want my views of history Then there’s something you should know The three men I admire most Are Curly, Larry, Moe Don’t worry about the future Sooner or later it’s the past If they say the thrill is gone then its time to take it back If the thrill is gone then its time to take it back
Now that you have discovered your passion, see if you can find a couple people who make a living doing that and study how they do it. Establish a plan, and work toward achieving it.
Everything louder than everything else
Now is the time to just sing along!
So sign up, all you raw recruits Throw away those two bit suits You got your weapons cocked, your targets in your sights There's a party raging, somewhere in the world You gotta serve your country, gotta service your girl Youre all inducted in the army of the night And I aint in it for the power And I aint in it for my health I aint in it for the glory of anything at all And I sure aint in it for the wealth But Im in it til its over And I just cant stop If you want to get it done, you got to fight for yourself And I like my music like I like my life Everything louder than everything else
Twitter Updates for 2007-12-31
- Will Smith is playing a disgruntaled Superhero in his nexr flick?? ugh, not sure about that. #
- It is so cold in the house right now, Yay, the heater just kicked on #
- Going live on Talkshoe with P:SI http://rurl.org/dib #
- I have to get the show compressed so i can get out the door... all day in town, yikes, this should be interesting. #
- i am at the Wine Rack/Java Stop, I am going to try to get some work done before the party, but I have the New Years Funk already. #
- Negronis solve everything :) #
- I am only getting 18 kbps so it might not be the best idea to stream from here... i will try again later, but this is not promising... #
- I just got tricked into the habanero salsa, my mouth burns!!!! ahhhhhhhhhh! #
- We are going to try a stream in a bit, I am setting up the audio now, fingers crossed #
Twitter Updates for 2007-12-20
- Hmmm Cat Sith or Cat Sidhe, i have a wicked cool idea, but I am not sure which I want to use. #
- Watching Stardust #
- @Mrs_Bobcat I loved it, a great fantasy flick, I will review it on the podcast tomarrow. All I can say right now is WOW! Must see! #
- It still feels weird listening to Rachel Maddow without Kent Jones. #
- Metallica is giving away free MP3's, WAWAAA!!! No wonder it is so cold outside. #
- Wow, I already have the Show line-up finished, I am really running effeciently this morning, I am excited about the show today, hehe #
- Brian is grabbing sounds to PO the LotR geeks, lol, this should be an interesting show, though not Rantastic #
- Logging into TalkShoe for P:SI, staring in 7 min http://rurl.org/dib #
- P:SI #46 - "Even Swashbuckling, Murderous Privateers Love a Good Show" posted http://rurl.org/cps #
- i playing with a new look for the site.., i love playing around with this stuff #
Twitter Updates for 2007-12-14
- I think I have a story, but the images flow too fast to put down, I have to relax and let them flow. #
- I cannot figure out if the Square Enix plagiarism case is news for the show... http://rurl.org/e01 #
- Working on the show daily is a lot more work than I thought it would be... we are debating a Christmas break, not sure if there will be news #
- Plotting and scheming anf wishing and hoping, longing and dreaming and scribbling and working #