When looking at SF Genres that take place in space point of view is key to understanding the differences between the genres.
- Space Opera: space-adventure stories of interplanetary or interstellar conflict. Space Opera has romantic elements with the focus on characters of which the hero is usually a lone wolf / maverick.
- Planetary Romance: Where the planet is a main character and focus.
- Think: Dune and Avatar.
- If Star Wars was a Planetary Romance it would be about Dagobah, the places strong in the light and dark side of the force and how things aren’t what they appear.
- Military Scifi: Where the military is integral to the story and has a big influence on the story.
- Stargate and Star Trek The Next Generation.
- If Star Wars was a Military Scifi it would be about Admiral Ackbar and the Rebel Alliance.
- Galactic Empire: Where the politics, political intrigue, and political maneuvering is essential to the story.
- Battlestar Galactica and Isaac Asimov Foundation series.
- If Star Wars was a Galactic Empire it would be told from either Mon Mothma or Emperor Palpatine’s point of view
My name is Charlie, but if your looking for my work, I go by C. E. Dorsett. I write scifi, fantasy, and a touch of horror. I like to play with gothic, steampunk, decopunk, epic fantasy, and wuxia. I love to tell stories and talk about books, movies, series, and music.