Marvel released the second trailer for Iron Man 2 and it looks better but also feeds some concerns. Watch the trailer above.
Iron Man is an awesome movie that I really enjoyed so it pains me to say that so far the second one doesn't appear to be very inspired from the advertising. Instead of one villain in an Iron Man knock off suit fighting against Tony Stark there appears to be many Iron Man knock off suits fighting Iron Man and War Machine.
We do get to see more about Whiplash from this trailer which helps with the original concerns over the character.
From the trailer they confirm that there will be more Nick Fury and a meeting does excite me.
I do like the clip of the portable Iron Man suit. It unpacks itself and places it's self on Tony Stark. Is this the beginning of the sentient Iron Man suit from the comics?
Iron Meh 2
Review of Iron Man 2
Overall Rating: 6 out of 10
Iron Man 2 not as bad as Spider Man 3 but falls into same quality category as Electra and Daredevil. It sits on the fence and was focused group to death. If only it would have had a strong story line or just abandoned that and been all action it would have been a much better film. This is a renter.
- Scarlett Johansson stole the show with Black widow she is amazing. Her action scenes were not only great action full of fun gadgets but they bring in an erotic element.
- Samuel L. Jackson was brilliant as Nick fury he rocked.
- Mickey Rourke as Ivan Vanko has an interesting character who is worth watching. Rourke's homework paid off I love all of the small nuances he gave to the character.
- Wonder twins power activate: When Iron Man and War Machine would shoot at each other at the same time I laughed and thought "wonder twins power activate
Dislikes / Concerns
- Intro credits were a disappointment. Marvel is known for telling an amazing pre-story in their roll in credits and even the Loosers has an amazing intro it should have been a warning for the movie to follow.
- Slow Intro: the movie was boring and horrible until the fight scene between Iron Man and War Machine at Tony Stark's party
- Effects were a hit and miss probably because it took 8 special effects companies. The whole race car scene was atrocious, the physics were horribly off and many parts looked plastic like.
- Whiplash first fight didn't make sense why didn't the car crush him and when Tony Starks car crashes they had a piece of shrapnel's vector was off flying through his head damaging the car behind him but not effecting him at all, they even have his head hit the pavement which should have killed him but no effect.
- Smashing someone with a car against concrete wall should spill guts especially if repeated. Though Tech Wolf pointed out that maybe Whiplash is actually Omega Red and then it makes sense
- Sam Rockwell complete disappointment
- Robert Downey Jr. appears to have "phoned in" his performance which is sad he is usually a brilliant actor who did not even hold his own in the scene with Samuel L. Jackson.
- The final explosions in the movie looked like fireworks
- Rhodey was a dusche in the movie
- The writing is horrible: the A plot line between Justin Hammer and Tony Stark was weak and should have been a B or C line. Tony Stark's father and Shield should have been the A plot line
- I found the use of Captain American's shield offensive
Theater or Renter: May 2010
Theater or Renter: May 2010 includes five SF movies Iron Man 2, Robin Hood, Shrek Forever After, Prince of Persia, Survival of the Dead. Will we watch? Will we rent? or do we even care? Rules of the Game: Watch the trailers. Rate the Trailer. Then share with us your comments: does the movie, it’s trailer and buzz make you want to watch it in the theater, rent it, or not interested at all, and why?
Iron Man 2:
Release Date: May 7th
Listed as: Action, Superhero Film
Studio: Marvel Studios
Director: Jon Favreau
Produced by: Kevin Feige, Avi Arad, Susan Downey
Written by: Justin Theroux
Stars: Robert Downey Jr., Don Cheadle, Mickey Rourke, Gwyneth Paltrow, Scarlett Johansson, Sam Rockwell, Samuel L. Jackson
The Plot / Story: Sequel to Iron Man it's six months latter. The world is aware that billionaire inventor Tony Stark is the armored Super Hero Iron Man. Under pressure from the government, the press and the public to share his technology with the military, Tony is unwilling to divulge the secrets behind the Iron Man armor because he fears the information will slip into the wrong hands. With Pepper Potts and James "Rhodey" Rohdes at his side, Tony forges new alliances and confronts powerful new forces, Whiplash and Justin Hammer.(Wikipedia) (The Official Site)
- Theater: I will have to watch this in the theater because the first Iron Man was so good. I have great concerns about this movie based on the Terrence Howard scandal and advertising. I'm very unhappy with switching Rohdey from Terrence Howard to Don Cheadle. This looks like a repeat of the first movie but with two Iron mans in it and multiple iron mongers as villains. They even went to the point of making a rival weapons merchant who wants to do Tony Stark in through the business world, hrmmm sounds familiar. Here is hoping that I am wrong.
Release Date: May 14th
Listed as: Action, Drama, Fantasy
Studio: Universal Pictures
Director: Ridley Scott
Produced by: Brian Grazer, Ridley Scott, Russell Crowe
Written by: Screenplay: Brian Helgeland Story: Brian Helgeland, Ethan Reiff, Cyrus Voris
Stars: Russell Crowe, Cate Blanchett, Matthew Macfadyen, Mark Strong, Oscar Isaac, Kevin Durand, Mark Addy, William Hurt, Danny Huston, Max von Sydow
The Plot / Story: It is late 12th century England and Sir Robin Longstride, Earl of Huntington, has returned to his northern English village after fighting in the Third Crusade. Upon arrival, the nobleman and his servant discover the oppression caused by the new Sheriff of Nottingham. Sir Robin uses his intelligence and military skills to free his home village from tyranny and corruption in England, by taking back what is rightfully his, and by taking back what rightfully is theirs, to restore justice and happiness to England. Robin must also win the affection of the recently widowed Lady Marian while leading his Merry Men of Sherwood Forest to victory and fairness. (Wikipedia) (The Official Site)
- Renter: This looks like they are just trying desperately to capitalize off of gladiator and I'm not a big fan Russell Crow or his movies. On the plus side: Cate Blanchett, William Hurt and a movie with sword play in it. This is probably a renter though if I have time or the early reviews turn out to be good I may switch to Theater.
Shrek Forever After:
Release Date: May 21
Listed as: Fantasy, Comedy
Studio: DreamWorks Animation
Director: Mike Mitchell
Produced by: Gina Shay, Teresa Cheng, Andrew Adamson, Aron Warner, John H. Williams
Written by: Josh Klausner, Darren Lemke, Ryan Harris
Stars: Mike Myers, Eddie Murphy, Cameron Diaz, Antonio Banderas, Walt Dohrn, Julie Andrews, Justin Timberlake
The Plot / Story: After all of his adventures, Shrek has become a domesticated family ogre. Instead of scaring villagers away as he used to, Shrek agrees to autograph pitchforks. Longing for the days when he felt like a "real ogre", Shrek is tricked into signing a pact with the smooth-talking deal maker, Rumpelstiltskin. After signing the contract, Shrek discovers he has been tricked, and the day Rumpelstiltskin took out of Shrek's life was the day that he was born-meaning that he never existed. Now, stuck in a twisted alternate version of Far Far Away where he has to gather the gang and fix everything. (Wikipedia) (The Official Site)
- Theater: I have loved all of the Shrek movies and expect to really enjoy this as well.
Prince of Persia:
Release Date: May 21
Listed as: action, adventure, fantasy
Studio: Walt Disney Pictures
Director: Mike Newell
Produced by: Jerry Bruckheimer
Written by: Jordan Mechner, Boaz Yakin
Stars: Jake Gyllenhaal, Gemma Arterton, Ben Kingsley, Alfred Molina
The Plot / Story: Based on the game Prince Of Persia. Dastan is a street urchin in 6th century Persia. Adopted by the king as his heir after showing valor in battle in hopes of keeping the king’s two sons from fighting over the throne. Dastan teams up with Princess Tamina to rescue the Sands of Time, a gift from the gods that controls time, from the hands of the villainous nobleman, Nizam.(Wikipedia) (The Official Site)
- Theater: Prince of Persia: The Sands of Time only caught a passing interest from me. Movies based on games tend to be a hit and miss venture. Add to that Disney's involvement and this project had caution written all over it, that is until I watched the trailer above. I’m now excited about Prince of Persia. The effects looks good. I like the use of a broader variety of weaponry especially the more exotic ones. The trailer does a nice job of setting up the back and forth between Dastan and Princess Tamina, even if a bit cliche.
Survival of the Dead:
Release Date: May 21
Listed as: Zombie movie
Studio: Independent Production
Director: George A. Romero
Produced by: Paula Devonshire
Written by: George A. Romero
Stars: Alan van Sprang, Kenneth Welsh, Kathleen Munroe, Athena Karkanis
The Plot / Story: It's a desperate, nightmarish world where the dead walk the earth, relentlessly attacking the living. Plum Island is a beautiful refuge whose isolation allows two powerful families to maintain a semblance of order in the wake of the zombie apocalypse. Over time the two clans become sharply divided: The O'Flynns believe that the undead must be destroyed without exception, while the Muldoons insist that afflicted loved ones be kept "alive" until a cure is found. Added unto this situation wander a small group of National Guard soldiers who, after robbing the protagonists of the previous film, have decided to strike out on their own in an effort to survive. Survival of the Dead follows the thieving National Guardsmen characters who briefly appeared in Diary of the Dead. (Wikipedia) (The Official Site)
- Renter: working against this movie is that it's a zombie flick which has been done to undead and like the creatures they feature just won't go away and give me a rest. That said it's a George A. Romero movie, this is a huge plus. Romero created the zombie genera and the best zombie movies. This may be enough to move this movie to theater status and at least makes it a renter.
How Superhero Movies Should Be Done: Review of Iron Man
|Review of: Iron Man Overall Rating: 10 A+|
It has been a while since I went to watch a superhero movie and left feeling really good. This was an all around fantastic movie that was able to not only go beyond being just another mindless action film it also maintained the spirit of the comic. It has a compelling and edifying story line, tight action sequences, a delightfully playful sense of humor and dynamic animation and effects. Well worth the trip to the theater not only once but multiple times.
Iron Man is about a jerk billionaire Tony Stark who is a brilliant inventor and head of Stark Industries the world's leading designer and supplier of weapons. Tony is severely wounded in a combat zone by the enemy with his own weapons. After escaping his captors Tony realizes his legacy is one of death and suffering so he sets out to correct that legacy and becomes Iron Man.
******Spoiler Alert Section******* I loved what they did with S.H.I.E.L.D. in this movie, it actually took me hearing the full name several times before I realized it stood for S.H.I.E.L.D. By keeping S.H.I.E.L.D.'s involvement subtle they set up a simple continuation and did not add confusion to the existing story line. Unfortunately we do not get to see Nick Fury in the movie but I did get a kick out of the running joke over how long their name was and how they needed a shorter name thus becoming S.H.I.E.L.D. ******End Spoiler Alert Section *******
- Very enjoyable movie experience: the overall flow, feel, and look of the movie was absolutely delightful.
- They kept the spirit of Iron Man: though the details were different from the comic they still hit all of the notes.
- Special effects looks great
- The tech was all believable: either stuff grabbed from existing bleeding edge technology or stuff that is not too far from our current future but shown in both it's best and worse application.
- Perfect casting and execution of Tony Stark
- perfect casting and execution of Obadiah Stane
- The transformation of the Stark character was brilliantly done and believable.
Dislikes / Concerns
- The final conclusion to the climatic battle scene: this pertains to one part overall the final battle was really good. For more conversation head over to the Project: Shadow HQ.
How was your experience of watching Iron Man?
Get it Iron Man from Amazon
Iron Monger v Iron Man
With much excitement I watched the last trailer and then realized that maybe we should take a moment to talk about Iron Man's antagonist in the Iron Man movie. Iron Man will have to face off against Obadiah Stane who will be played by Jeff Bridges. A beautifully detailed article and history of Obadiah can be found over at Marvel. Here is the crib note version.
Obadiah Stane is a competing business man to Tony Stark and a supervillain. He is obsessed with chess and decides Tony Stark is a worthy opponent to play a life version of the game. He takes over Stark enterprises after many attempts to destabilize the company and buying up the pieces. After acquiring control of Stark Enterprises Obadiah finds a notebook that later gives him information on the battlesuit. Obadiah has a team of scientists build a suit for himself and takes on the persona of Iron Monger and then goes after Iron Man.
The cool thing is from this still and looking at the latest trailer we will get to see Iron Monger and Iron Man go toe to toe.
New Iron Man Trailer
There is a new Iron Man trailer out that features the suit's flight feature. See it in the Project:Shadow HQ. I can't wait for this movie. Only a little over a month to go till May 2nd.
This trailer is exciting with some new footage in it. ***Spoiler alert*** They show some new clips of Tony Stark testing the flight feature on the suit including a moment when the jets fail. We get to see him catch a car! There is also a very brief glimpse of a suit feature where his fist powers up for a powerful punch!