Speculative Fiction Summer Shows To Check Out
We've got 11 shows on the to check out and watch list plus four specials from the Movies, Miniseries and Monsters category.
True Blood: season three
- Awesome show must see
- Vampires done very well
- Loved the first two seasons
- Kind of mad at HBO for not making this at least available on iTunes yet. It has the problem of not being decabled friendly.
June 13, at 9 p.m. on HBO.
There's more sex, blood and supernatural action as the red-hot series picks up where it left off. Sookie's man is missing, and so she's searching for Bill with a little help from vampire Eric and werewolf Alcide (Joe Manganiello). Meanwhile, Tara gets mixed up with a vampire who takes her to the dark side, and we meet Russell Edgington (Denis O'Hare), the vampire king of Mississippi. Elsewhere, Sam hunts for his birth parents and Jason finds romance with a local woman who has a secret. Look for tons of new regular, recurring and guest characters.
The Gates: series premiere
- Concerned about the pitch it is trying too hard to be liked
- I am kind of interested in the show
- It sounds more like eureka with stock fantasy / Gothic characters
- Every time I hear about the show I get the slug line "The Gates where abnormals go to be domesticated" in my head. My hope is that I'm wrong on that
- Eric hopes it will be like charmed.
June 20, at 10 p.m. on ABC.
Mix Desperate Housewives with Twilight, add a drop of True Blood, and you've got The Gates. In the series, when an ex-Chicago cop becomes the new police chief of an exclusive gated community, he and his family slowly come to learn exactly how exclusive that community is. Apparently humans aren't the only creatures that want to feel safe. This community has vampires, werewolves, witches and other creatures, and they don't always play nice.
- Love me some Futurama
- So excited the show is back with full cast intact
June 24, at 10 p.m. on Comedy Central
Thank you, Comedy Central! The ultimate animated space ride, Futurama, is returning for 12 glorious new episodes with Fry, Bender, Leela and all the gang from the Planet Express.
Warehouse 13: season two
- Season one rocked
- must watch show
- What happened to Artie? is it the pheonix artifact and who or what will pay for it
- could they be doing a where's claudia
July 6, at 9 p.m. on SyFy
Syfy's highest-rated series returns and Artie, who appeared to have died in an explosion at the end of last season, will return in an unusual way. With the season-one finale leaving just about everyone in a tough situation, look for lots of surprises to get them back in the supernatural artifact-hunting business. This season, love will bloom and there will be a Eureka crossover with Douglas Fargo (Neil Grayston) when he installs a new Global Dynamics computer system at the warehouse. Nolan Gerard Funk joins the cast as a romantic interest for Claudia, while Lindsay Wagner and Tia Carrere guest-star.
Eureka: season four
- great show
- time to get our geek on again
- Hoping that Jaime Ray Newman will come back since East Wick is gone.
July 9, at 9 p.m. on SyFy
Something big is coming that will be a major game-changer for Eureka, and it isn't just James Callis joining the cast this season. Expect an Allison/Jack/Dr. Grant (Callis) love triangle, a race to the moon, people turning into stone, and even zombies! Guest stars include Jamie Kennedy, Wil Wheaton and the return of Jaime Ray Newman and Matt Frewer.
Haven: series premiere
- Based on Stephen King is a yellow flag
- My hope is for it to be good but past attempts to translate his works onto the screen have meet without much success, see Dead zone and Langoliers.
July 9, at 10 p.m. on SyFy
Based on the Stephen King novella The Colorado Kid, the series centers on FBI agent Audrey Parker, played by Jericho's Emily Rose, as she arrives in the small town of Haven, Maine, to look into the murder of a local ex-con. What seems like a routine case lands her in the middle of events in the town, which is a refuge for people with a range of supernatural abilities. Haven also stars Lucas Bryant and Eric Balfour.
Ghost Hunters International: season two finishing episodes
- Love me some Ghost Hunters
July 14, at 9 p.m. on SyFy
The GHI team is off to Nottingham, England, in the hunt for the Sherriff of Nottingham's ghost at the Galleries of Justice. Other countries they'll explore during their global adventures include Wales, Norway, Poland, Ukraine and Estonia. The team is joined by new member Scott Tepperman, as well as Ghost Hunter Academy winners Susan Slaughter and Karl Pfeiffer.
Being Human: season two
- I want to see season one have heard good things about the show.
- Watching this will be tricky since BBC America is not decabled friendly
July 24, at 10 p.m. on BBC America
Before Syfy can have its way with the subject matter, you can catch a second season of the BBC original with the supernatural roomies—vampire Mitchell, werewolf George and ghost Annie. In the second season, George has to deal with relationship troubles, Mitchell tries to create order within the vampire community, and Annie takes on motherhood with a baby ghost. The series moves to its regular timeslot at 9 p.m. on July 31. BBC's announced that a third season is in the works.
Movies, Miniseries and Monsters
Princess of Mars: Syfy original movie
- Love some Barsoom book series, hoping it will at least be craptastic but with Antonio Sabato Jr. and Traci Lords in it there is no hope.
Saturday, June 5, at 9 p.m.
How about a little Edgar Rice Burroughs? This Syfy original flick adapts the Burroughs novel and takes Antonio Sabato Jr. and Traci Lords on an adventure about a U.S. soldier who is mysteriously transported to Mars in the midst of a war between two alien races.
- Four hour miniseries
- don't know why The Phantom needed re-imagining so I hope they do well with it
June 20, at 7 p.m.
This modern-day re-imagining of the comic book follows Kit Walker (Ryan Carnes), the son of the Phantom, who ends up with his father's iconic ring. In the tale, Kit is targeted by the deadly Singh crime syndicate, who hope to stop the ascension of the next Phantom. Add in Isabella Rossellini as Lithia, the head of an experimental mind-control program, and you have one interesting miniseries. This mini was directed by The Last Templar's Paolo Barzman and stars Sandrine Holt and Cameron Goodman.
Dinocroc vs. Supergator: Syfy original movie
- What can I say I'm a sucker for a crappy giant monster flick
June 26, at 9 p.m.
Yep, it's a Dinocroc vs. Supergator smackdown a la Roger Corman! The two massive critters escape an experimental facility (which happens to be on a lush tropical island) and begin rampaging toward populated beaches filled with tourists. While the creatures work up an appetite battling each other, there are plenty of tourists around to snack on to keep them going.
ABC Cut’s V When It Should Learn From It
ABC is cutting its order for V by one, now when V returns March 30th it will only have 8 episodes left. ABC sites low ratings as their reason for cutting the show. I want to know what are the executives at ABC thinking? V is a great show. I has good ratings even if they slipped some from the pilot episode dropping from 14.3 million to 10.7 million viewers. Even with the drop in ratings V still got over 9 million viewers for episode 3 and 4.
These ratings are respectable especially since ABC’s darling Lost did not get better ratings then V for their 5th season. Their last 4 episodes of the season were all around 9 million viewers with one episode dropping to 8.7 million. Why not cut Lost short too… please.
ABC should watch V and Learn from Anna
If only ABC would watch V and learn from Anna they would learn that trust is a major factor in ratings. Yes, a show needs to be good or at least catchy to get ratings and keep them. They also need trust and respect. Viewers have no loyalty to a network, no faith in the network’s shows with out that. If you promise us 13 episodes honor that. Anna knows that it’s why she spends so much effort on showing respect and keeping the people of earths trust.
If ratings are really the issue why hurt viewer trust?
If you want less views betray their trust and they will find something else to fall in love with. Several people have told me how much they like V but are not willing to fall in love with a show when they don’t have confidence in the studio backing it. I agree with that sentiment. While I have enjoyed the episodes I can’t trust ABC. They yanked Eastwick now they are shortening V.
On the plus side when ABC rolls out a ton of reality shows I will sit back and enjoy spending time doing other things then watch TV. Seeing as MMO’s have hurt TV ratings so much any one want to join me playing Star Trek Online it’s out February 2nd.
The Gift of Lit
It is with great pleasure I bring forth and introduce you to The Gift of Lit, a collective effort by many of the fine authors from Podiobooks. Together, we would like to share with you our diverse works and invite you to take a look at the nice selection of books we have spent hours, days, months, or years writing.
The Gift of Lit: Holiday 2009 is now here. If you are looking for a great gift this holiday season, rather it be for a family member, friend…or for yourself, take a look at the list below and give one, some, or all of these books your consideration. There are books to suit your needs this holiday season. Here, you will find fantasy, sci-fi, crime drama, speculative fiction, techno thriller, and much more. Help support these authors and spread the joys of literature. Give spark to imagination.
Below, take a look at all of the different titles offered and follow the links to purchase your own copy for yourself or to give that special someone this holiday. Yet, no matter the time of year, The Gift of Lit will be sure to please all readers.
NIGHT’S KNIGHTS by Emerian Rich
Buy it here at >> Amazon<< (starts as low as $13.00)
Vampires on a quest for knowledge attempt to create the perfect offspring, but from the shadows an even more demonic evil threatens their immortality. Markham is a simple Irish immigrant striving for the American dream in 1860 when coach robbers cause his untimely death. Severina is an exotic beauty from the jungles of Brazil whose family is brutally murdered by the same man she later calls lover. Julien is a knight who serves as guardian angel to his family but has no clue about his predestined fate. Will a powerful mortal named Jespa be the one to save them all?
BRAVE MEN RUN by Matthew Wayne Selznick
Buy it here at >> Amazon << (starts as low as $8.98 new)
April 18, 1985-Into a world already wound tight with the desperate tensions of the Cold War comes Dr. William Donner with a startling declaration: superhumans exist, they demand autonomy, and he has the reality-bending power to enforce their status. The traditional balance of power is thrown askew by the addition of not one super-powered human, but six thousand. Before the Donner Declaration, high school sophomore Nate Charters was just an outsider and self-proclaimed freak. His unusual appearance, hair-trigger reflexes, and overactive metabolism should have made him something special, but his differences and low self-esteem have long since marked him as a target for the jocks and popular kids. Now, just as his unique nature brings him the attention of a self-assured older girl, Nate must find his place in the world. Why is he the way he is? What really happened to his long dead father? Why is his biggest rival suddenly interested in a private meeting? Is he part of a remarkable, powerful new minority… or just a misfit among misfits? Nate must discover the answers to these questions quickly, because those in power know more about him than he could ever imagine. And they’re closing in…
LOST GODS by Drew Beatty
Buy it here at >> Lulu << (starts at $15.50 new)
Kweku Anansi is just another member of the African diaspora, trying to make a place for himself in his adopted home of Toronto, Canada. He dreams of better days, of a time when he could stop running small time cons just to make the rent. He dreams of the life he used to live, centuries ago when he was revered as a god.
A chance encounter with a fellow con man with a dark and secretive past of his own, plunges them both into the dark world of the lost gods, gods who would do anything to be worshipped again. Including destroying the world, if necessary.
How far will Anansi go to reclaim his godhood? What will he give up to have true power again?
THE FOX by Arlene Radasky
Buy it here at >> Amazon << (starts as low as $20.99 new)
The Fox by Arlene Radasky is a historical romance and fantasy novel that looks at true courage and truly selfless acts. In this epic fiction that crosses centuries, Druid healers at the beginning of recorded time will be rescued from obscurity by an archeologist of the twenty-first century. Jahna’s clan lay in the path of destruction exacted by the Romans. Her fate is sealed unless a bargain is made with the Gods, which without a doubt means a human sacrifice. Two thousand years later, Aine MacRae is on their trail. A struggling archaeologist, she is on the verge of uncovering the village where they once lived. Encouraged by a ghostly visit, she will do whatever it takes to unearth time’s mystery. Greed almost triumphs leaving the truth and ancient stories buried forever, but an undying love is rekindled.
CHASING THE BARD by Philippa Ballantine
Buy it here at >> Amazon << (starts as low as $12.69 new)
Born into the human world with a gift; a gift that brings him to the attention of powers both dark and light from the World of the Fey, it is his burden to defend all the world. Sive, the goddess of battle, hopes that he may be able to change the fate of her people.The Fey are dying, killed by something beyond the boundaries of worlds, and Sive will do anything to save them. So she enlists the help of her trickster cousin Puck to guard the child, and watch him grow into his gift. But a dark power imprisoned by human and Fey, plots to destroy both worlds, and unmake all that they have created. Can one boy stop the destruction, even if he is William Shakespeare?
Buy it here at >> Amazon << (starts as low as $17.98)
The Dawning of Power is the debut trilogy in Brian Rathbone’s fantasy series: The World of Godsland. Echoes of the ancients power are distant memories, tattered and faded by the passage of eons, but that is about to change. A new dawn has arrived. Latent abilities, harbored in mankind s deepest fibers, wait to be unleashed. Ancient evils awaken, and old fears ignite the fires of war. In times such as these, ordinary people have the power to save the world . . . or destroy it.
Buy it here at >> Amazon << (starts as low as $8.60)
The era of peace among the elves, men, and dwarves comes to an end when one of Londor’s twin moons disappears from the heavens. Without the moon’s balancing effect, evil forces grow bold, and warfare, sickness, and chaos threaten life itself.
Hearing the prayers of desperation that ride on the violent winds, the ancient wizard Randor Miithra, servant to the elf-gods, takes it upon himself to mend the world he has sworn to protect. The task will not be an easy one, though, for the wizard, too, has begun to feel the effects of the world’s imbalance. As Randor struggles to maintain some semblance of his powers, he meets a secretive band of colorful characters from all walks of life, drawn together by a common goal: to find the stolen moon, whatever the cost. It does not take Randor and his motley company long to see that someone or something does not want the moon returned to the heavens.
The road is perilous…the stakes have never been greater…will they find victory…or will they only find their deaths?
THE VATICAN ASSASSIN TRILOGY by Mike Luoma
Buy it here at >> Lulu << (starts as low as $35.99)
This three in one omnibus edition collects all three novels in the “Vatican Assassin” Trilogy under one cover. “Vatican Assassin”, “Vatican Ambassador” and “Vatican Abdicator” are joined in this volume by an extensive appendix of previously unreleased background material. There are some early concept sketches by Mike Luoma, as well as “The History of The Future”: a timeline developed to extrapolate from today into the future setting for the story; “The Original Story Outline”; “The Story of The Project”; “The Alien Timeline” and more.
THE PIRATES OF SUFIRO by David Lee Summers
Buy it here at >> Amazon << (starts as low as $14.95)
The Pirates of Sufiro is the story of a planet and its people — of Ellison Firebrandt the pirate captain living in exile; of Espedie Raton, the con-man looking to make a fresh start for himself and his wife on a new world; of Peter Stone, the ruthless bank executive who discovers a fortune and will do anything to keep it; and of the lawman, Edmund Ray Swan who travels to Sufiro seeking the quiet life but finds a dark secret. It is the story of privateers, farmers, miners, entrepreneurs, and soldiers — all caught up in dramatic events and violent conflicts that will shape the destiny of our galaxy.
JACK WAKES UP by Seth Harwood
Buy it here at >> Amazon << (starts as low as $7.68)
In JACK WAKES UP, we are introduced to Jack Palms, a movie star turned drug addict, turned has-been who has been living off of the residual checks from Shake ‘Em Down, his one–and-only action movie. The money is drying up though, and this new clean, uneventful life is starting to become too much for Jack to bear. So when an old friend comes calling and asks Jack to use his former celebrity to show some out-of-town high rollers around San Francisco’s club scene, he’s happy to oblige. What Jack doesn’t know, however, is these “guests” are a pack of former KGB agents turned coke dealers out to make a big deal with Jack as their tour guide. Soon people are turning up dead, and Jack’s got too many gunmen after him to count—including a South American drug cartel, a mountain-sized Samoan enforcer, and a mobbed-up strip club owner with an army of thugs. That’s not to mention a gorgeous new girlfriend who may be planning on shooting him in the back and the homicide cop who’s just given Jack twenty-four hours to bring down the Bay Area’s biggest drug dealer.
But the thing that scares Jack the most? He’s starting to have fun.
CITY OF MASKS by Mike Reeves-McMillan
Buy it here at >> Lulu << (starts as low as $9.97)
In the city-state of Bonvidaeo, by custom and law everyone must wear a mask and act in character with it, or face civil, social and religious penalties. Gregorius Bass is sent to Bonvidaeo as the Envoy of Calaria (primarily to get him out from underfoot). Masked as the Innocent Man, and in the company of his radical young Bonvidaoan servant, Bass stumbles into mystery, intrigue, heresy and murder.
7TH SON: DESCENT by J.C. Hutchins
Buy it here at >> Amazon << (starts as low as $9.21)
As America reels from the bizarre presidential assassination committed by a child, seven men are abducted from their normal lives and delivered to a secret government facility. Each man has his own career, his own specialty. All are identical in appearance. The seven strangers were not born, but grown — unwitting human clones — as part of a project called 7th Son.
The government now wants something from these “John Michael Smiths.” They share the flesh as well as the implanted memories of the psychopath responsible for the president’s murder. The killer has bigger plans, and only these seven have the unique qualifications to track and stop him. But when their progenitor makes the battle personal, it becomes clear John Alpha may know the seven better than they know themselves…
DREAMING OF DELIVERANCE by R.E. Chambliss
Buy it here at >> Amazon << (starts as low as $19.99)
Five years ago when Lindsay Paulson, a naive college student and talented distance runner, was 18, she was convicted of drug smuggling. Now, halfway through a 10-year prison sentence, she begins having what seem to be dreams, in which she leaves her cell in the night and visits another reality called Trae. Dreaming of Deliverance tells of Lindsay’s experiences both in Trae, where she finds herself among people enslaved by terrifying creatures, and in prison where she tries to make sense of what’s happening in her sleep: Is she actually escaping from prison somehow or is she losing her mind?
FANTASY FICTION HISTORICAL
THE MARK OF A DRUID by Rhonda R. Carpenter
Buy it here at >> Amazon << (starts as low as $16.55 new)
Have you ever had a dream so real that when you awoke, it didn’t leave the recesses of your mind for days? Eve McCormick just did, and this experience will change her life and the lives of those around her permanently. A twenty-six year old hypnotherapist who oversees a research project based on discovering the answer to an age-old question, “Is reincarnation fact or fiction?” must learn to trust a Welsh stranger. An ancient Celtic prophecy and long sought-after revenge entangles the past with the present in the struggle for existence that threatens to destroy her project. A druidess and a shape-shifter must join as one to save the Druid way of life, while a Queen conspires to kill Erin’s only High King. Will the oaths and agendas of the past reach across the centuries to strengthen or destroy?
Thanks, author A. P. Stephens who started this little project.
DVD Releases: September 15, 2009
Out this week we have five DVDs to feature: Sanctuary: The Complete First Season, Doctor Who: The Next Doctor, The Big Bang Theory: The Complete Second Season, Star Wars: The Clone Wars - Clone Commandos, Primeval, Vol. 2 (Series 3), X-Men Origins: Wolverine.
- Sanctuary: The Complete First Season: What a great sci-fi show. I love how it started as an independent web project utilizing an all virtual backdrop style that looks great. A must own exploration into the world of the abnormals. In season one we get to see the Sanctuary, Witches, a folding man, the dangerous Kush, the ever adorable Nubbins I want one and I know not to feed it after midnight, Nikola Tesla, Werewolfs, Vampires, and much more. Starring: Amanda Tapping, Robin Dunne, Emilie Ullerup, Ryan Robbins, Christopher Heyerdahl, Agam Darshi. I can't wait for season two to start on October 9th
- Doctor Who: The Next Doctor (2008 Christmas Special): Victorian London is the setting of this "Doctor Who" Christmas special, which finds the time-traveling doc (David Tennant) arriving in the city on Christmas Eve, 1851, to investigate a string of murders -- only to encounter a familiar foe: the Cybermen. He also crosses paths with another Doctor (David Morrissey) -- whom he believes is a regeneration of himself -- and together they must battle their common enemy, the evil Mercy Hartigan.
- The Big Bang Theory: The Complete Second Season: This show is great geeky fun that is also a celebration in fandom. Whenever I want a nice laugh that still stimulates my mind with random science and a verbose vocabulary Big Bang Theory is my pick. I see a lot of myself in Leonard and I do live with Sheldon.
- Get your copy here from amazon: The Big Bang Theory season 2
- Star Wars: The Clone Wars - Clone Commandos: The second pack release of the TV Star Wars Series: Clone Wars. This DVD has four really good episodes "Rookies," "Storm Over Ryloth," "Innocents of Ryloth" and "Liberty on Ryloth." Full of Mace Windu goodness a plus yet not the complete series. I already own the complete series through . For those wanting to get it on DVD I would wait for the complete season which has a rumored fall release, fingers crossed.
- Primeval, Vol. 2 (Series 3): Is this series any good? I have watched some of the trailers for it but they did not get me excited to want to watch it. Evolutionary zoologist Nick Cutter recruits Egyptologist Sarah Page to the team, hoping her research can shed some light on the mysterious time anomalies that continue to deposit dangerous dinosaurs in modern England.
- X-Men Origins: Wolverine: This movie was an utter piece of excrement. Don't waste your time. If you are insistent on wasting your money then at least support us by buying it here:
Netflix lets you rent, watch and return DVDs from home - Try free for 2 weeks
SF TV Series To Watch This Fall
With so many Speculative Fiction shows and new shows coming out this fall I thought I could help sort them all out.
- Eureka (Syfy): A fun sci-fi show. Love it, watch it on Hulu
- Ghost Hunters (Syfy): Fascinating exploration of U.S. ghost stories and haunting investigation. Love it watch it on Hulu
- Warehouse 13 (Syfy): A fun sci-fi show that adds a dash of paranormal into it. Love it, watch it on Hulu
- Glee (FOX): loved the pilot, a nice feel good musical tale with a dash of fantasy.
- Destination Truth (Syfy): Loved the previous seasons can’t wait to see what Josh and the gang get into this season. Hopefully nothing from Chernobyl bit Josh.
- The Vampire Diaries (CW): A vampire is in it so I have to check it out but I don’t have much hope. I realize it is not a Twilight clone (I have been schooled on that subject, lol) yet I can only hope that it is way better then Twilight.
- Supernatural (CW): I’m a sucker for a paranormal show involving demon hunters so this is on my check out list because I also realize there are a lot of bad ones out there as well.
- The Forgotten (ABC): I don’t have much hope for this show, mainly I’m concerned this will turn out to be yet another show for people who don’t like sci-fi to watch.
- Eastwick (ABC): The trailers looks really good, they captured the essence of the movie so well in the promotional material I’m looking forward to watching it.
- Dollhouse (FOX): Season one rocked!!! A must see
- Smallville (CW): I could appreciate the concept behind Smallville but until this season just didn’t care enough bout the show to want to watch it but with Callum Blue joining the cast this year I think I may start watching it.
- The Simpsons (FOX): If you don’t know then I’m at a loss for words.
- Stargate Universe (Syfy): I started out not caring much about this show, but as more came out and especially the latest trailers I’m excited to watch it.
- Clone Wars: Rise of the Bounty Hunters (Cartoon): Season two of George Lucas' animated Star Wars tales covering the era of the Clone Wars. The animation style is a unique style that has been difficult for some to get into but worth it. The story is really good though lighter because the show is marketed more towards a kid audience I have hope that the second season will get better.
- Ugly Betty (ABC): What an amazing retelling of the classic fantasy tale
- Sanctuary (Syfy): The original web series was good. The first season was awesome so of course I’m looking forward to season two.
- V (ABC): I enjoyed growing up with the original show V and it is one that could use a retelling, plus Morena Baccarin.
- Legend of the Seeker (syndication): Season one was so good I can’t wait to see how season two unfolds.
I find it interesting that all of the speculative fiction programming out there are on either sy-fy, Fox, CW, or ABC.