He-Man the classic animated TV show from the 80’s now has the first season streaming free online on Hulu.
The show is about Prince Adam who is given the Sword of Grayskull and can transform into He-Man defender of Eternia from Skeletor who wishes to rule all of the land. Along his adventures Prince-Adam is accompanied with his pet a cowardly tiger named Cringer who also transforms into an armored tiger named Battle Cat. Eternia is also defended by Prince Adam’s mentor Duncan aka Man-At_Arms, his friend Teela, and the wizard Orco.
Skeletor also has his entertaining band of misfit baddies which he uses not only in his attempts to rule all of Eternia but also to help him get at the secret powers hidden deep within Castle Grayskull.
The shows are great fun with a fable type quality to them containing wonderful messages for life like being brave and how lying can be harmful. The show ran for two seasons before going off the air. The show had some great writing talent like J. Michael Straczynski, Paul Dini, and and David Wise giving He-Man a great storyline to it.
Watch all of first season on Hulu here.
Get your copy on DVD
Masters of the Universe Movie Is Back On
Masters of the Universe Movie is back on after Columbia Pictures / Escape Artists picked up the rights after Warner Bros dropped the project last year. I love He-Man and the Masters of the Universe show and would like to see a big screen adaptation. If you have not watched He-Man then check it out streaming online here. Mike Finch and Alex Litvak pitched their concept for the project and are now building it from the ground up.
“attempted to balance a treatment that would convince the studio it was cinematic and keep the toy company satisfied that its characters were being portrayed appropriately”
I hope that they bring in J. Michael Straczynski for a consultant on this project. It was in large part his brilliant writing that made the original show so great. The movie would benefit greatly from his contribution.
Mike Finch known for being a writer on Predators.
Alex Litvak known for being a writer on Predators.
Predators does not release until 9 July 2010 so we don't have any completed projects to really get a feeling of their style from.
The Mysterious Cities of Gold on Hulu
Mysterious Cities of Gold is an amazing, well written show from the 80's. I loved watching it eagerly awaiting each week as a new episode would air. The animation quality is dated but the high quality story and creative writing makes it a show worth watching. They have a great way of mixing history and fantasy creating a believable setting and an engaging tale.
Watch the first episode streaming online below.
Thanks to Hulu now everyone can check out the show and enjoy the great tale.
The Story: It is 1532 and Esteban, a Spanish orphan, is on a quest to find his father. He joins a party of Spaniards as they search for one of The Seven Cities of Gold in The New World. Zia, An Incan girl named Zia, and Tao, the last descendant of the sunken empire of Hiva, help Estaban on his search. On their journey, the three of them discover many lost technological wonders of the Mayans, Inca, and Olmecs including The Golden Condor, a huge solar-powered airship, capable of traveling considerable distances under the sun's power alone. They are constantly pursued by antagonists Gomez and Gaspard, who are also in search of the Cities of Gold.
Get the whole show on DVD from amazon here
My Top 10 Favorite Television Series, I Didn’t Watch On The TV Box.
You know how it is. You see the ads for a new TV show and then never catch it. Or the network pulls it before you can really get a grip on the characters. Or they keep changing times and you can never figure out when it’s on. Or you like it, watch the first or even second episodes, and then one night you miss it and bam… you’re out of the loop. Now with places like Hulu.com and Netflix streaming online, you can catch a lot of your favorites online. Here are my top ten favorite television shows I didn’t watch on the TV box, in alphabetical order:
- Cleopatra 2525 - Complete Series, 2000 Ok, so I know this is a little corny, but I love it. An exotic dancer in for plastic surgery in 2001, wakes up in the year 2525 to find the world has been taken over by evil robots. This show brings you scantily clad beauties with arm bands that shoot lasers and help them repel down giant elevator shafts and a freaky bad guy in clown makeup and extensions. It doesn’t get better than that. Watch it streaming online on Hulu
- Dead Like Me, 2003 A college dropout is killed by a toilet seat that falls from a space station on her first day at a temp agency. Upon death, she finds out she is has been chosen to be a grim reaper and take people's souls just before they die. The bad news? She still has to work for a living! Some of these scenes are so close to real office life, it's scary. Can anyone say collate?
- Eureka, 2006 The best minds in the US are tucked away in a remote town where they build futuristic inventions for the government's benefit. A US Marshal gets stranded there and decides to becomes the next Sheriff after the old one is injured from a science project gone wrong. Quirky, fun. Watch it streaming online on Hulu.
- Firefly, 2002 In the distant future, Captain Malcolm 'Mal' Reynolds a former soldier for the independents, is now a smuggler and commander of a small spacecraft with a loyal hand-picked crew. They travel the far reaches of space in search of food, money, and anything to live on. Along the way, they encounter life-threatening missions and a cast of interesting characters. Must see. Watch it streaming online on Hulu.
- Jericho, 2006 When bad boy Jake returns to his Kansas small-town home, Jericho, everyone is preoccupied with petty private business and family matters, but that changes drastically after an unexpected explosion hits. It soon becomes clear there has been a nuclear attack, but no one knows by whom or to what scale. Jericho inhabitants gradually discover the USA is disintegrating. Life becomes complicated for these small town folk when needs such as food, fuel, and self-defense against invaders become the main task. Jake proves extremely resourceful and a smart hero saving the town many times and changing the resident views of him. Watch it streaming online on CBS.
- Kindred the Embraced, 1996 Julian Luna, prince of the kindred (vampire), clans in San Francisco, has his job cut out for him as he must try to keep peace among them while not being afraid to apply ruthless justice against those who would break kindred rules. Infractions that merit "final death" include the taking of human life and changing humans into vampires who have not volunteered for the transformation. This show was an exciting and perplexing moment for all of us hard core vampire LARP'ers. We were thrilled at the fact that mainstream took notice of something we enjoyed, puzzled the changes they made, and disappointed when it was cancelled just as the series started heating up! I remember being upset that my favorite clan, Tremere, was not represented and hoped that season 2 might have brought them out of the woodwork. The tragic death of Mark Frankel (Julian) after Season one, caused all of us Masquerade RPG'ers to lose faith in another season.
- Moonlight, 2007 A vampire is a private investigator and falls for mortal woman who he saved from dying as a child. This show has been ridiculed by fans of the 1980's series Forever Knight. It does seem like some of the shots used in Moonlight are very familiar to us Forever Knight fans and even some of the themes they use are very close to the other show. However, I feel that Moonlight brings a sexier, up-to-date feel to our favorite "do-good" vampire role. I'm not saying it's better, it's just more vampire fun.
- My Own Worst Enemy, 2008 As an agent for a top-secret government agency, Edward agrees to let the government insert a chip in his brain that can be turned on and off. When he is turned off, he is Henry, an efficiency expert, who lives a typical suburban life right down to the wife, two kids, dog, and minivan. In contrast, Edward is a lethal, multilingual operative. Somehow the chip breaks, making it impossible for the government to control when Henry is "on" or Edward is "on". I caught this on Hulu.com and loved it so much, I bought the DVD. This is sort of a 24 meets Alias meets Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde. TV aficionados will recognize many members of the cast and Christian Slater does a brilliant job of playing the innocent family man who could never harm a soul trying to come to grips with the fact his life is a sham and the lethal killer who will do anything to stay alive. Watch it streaming online on Hulu.
- Red Dwarf, 1988 Three million years ago, a radiation leak killed the crew of the mining ship, Red Dwarf. The only survivor was Dave Lister, the chicken soup machine repairman. He spends his time on the ship with a holographic projection of Arnold Rimmer (his dead bunk mate), Cat (a life-form that evolved from Dave's cat), Holly (the ship's senile computer), and Kryten (a service mechanoid). BBC comedy good for hours of fun. If you haven't heard of this one, you've been under a smegging rock.
- Sanctuary, 2007 Amanda Tapping stars as a unique woman (possibly immortal?) who runs a Sanctuary for all kinds of creatures and monsters. This show follows her and her team as they find new species and try to help them. They also have their enemies. I'm anxious to see what this show becomes... if it's renewed. Watch it streaming online on Hulu.
You can check out a lot of these gems at Hulu.com. If you'd like to purchase them, you can do as I do and shop Amazon.com.
So, now that I've given you some to catch up on, what are your favorites?
Death Note: Streaming Online Anime
Are you looking for some anime to watch? Bob The Elementalist asks
I love anime but I don't know what I should watch. does anyone have any suggestions?
Thanks to Emerian Rich for recommending Death Note!
Death Note is streaming online here on Hulu.
The entire first season is up with all 37 episodes in a non-dubbed format. Death Note is about Light Yagami an ace student with great prospects but he's bored out of his mind. All that changes when he finds the Death Note, a notebook dropped by a rogue Shinigami death god. Any human whose name is written in the notebook dies, and now Light has vowed to use the power of the Death Note to rid the world of evil. But when criminals begin dropping dead, the authorities send the legendary detective L to track down the killer. With L hot on his heels, will Light lose sight of his noble goal...or his life?
Read Emerian’s Review of Death Note Manga here
Get your copy:
Thanks for the recommendations! Do you have any more recommendations or questions for anime to watch? Please share them with us, would love to know.
Chuck Finds Father and it’s Scott Bakula?
Scott Bakula is returning to TV as Chuck’s dad! I’ve really love this show. It’s like geek heaven, full of geek and speculative fiction references. I’ve caught up on Hulu and now can’t wait for the next part of the season to start. Bakula should appear in at least 3 episodes with his arc kicking off in April.
"Chuck made a promise to his sister, Ellie [Sarah Lancaster], that he was going to find their dad in time for her wedding," Schwartz explains. "And it's something that Chuck becomes consumed with pursuing during the second half of the season.
"But when he finds him, he's not necessarily a guy who wants to be found," Schwartz continues. "He's living in a trailer, he's disheveled, he's paranoid and he's claiming constantly that Ted Roark [Chevy Chase] -- who he used to work with -- stole all his ideas from him. And Ted Roark has now become this super-successful software billionaire, and Chuck's dad has become an eccentric, living in the shadows."
Did they just say that Chevy Chase will also make an appearance? That would rock even more!
This clip is a great sample of the show Chuck.