My name is Charlie, but if your looking for my work, I go by C. E. Dorsett. I write scifi, fantasy, and a touch of horror. I like to play with gothic, steampunk, decopunk, epic fantasy, and wuxia. I love to tell stories and talk about books, movies, series, and music.
Headlines for April 7th through April 8th
These are my links for April 7th through April 8th:
- Greg Bear to Write Halo Trilogy -
- Get an exclusive look at concept art for SCI FI's upcoming Riverworld | SCI FI Wire -
- Harry Potter's 'Crabbe' is busted for pot in London | SCI FI Wire -
- Gary Oldman NOT in Iron Man 2, First Look at Garry Shandling as Senator Stern | /Film -
- Ian McShane Interview - Deadwood and NBC Kings TV Show Actor Ian McShane - Esquire -
- 'Kings' exiled to Saturdays by NBC - Entertainment News, TV News, Media - Variety -
- MySpace.com Blogs - OTEP MySpace Blog -
- The Clone Wars gets ‘enhanced’ for rerun season -
- Hulu Blog The Search Continues -
- TV’s Web Revenues: $1.63B in 2008 -
- Netflix Nabs SpongeBob and South Park -
- Sony's Movies May Be Coming to YouTube -
- Cryptomundo » Giant Sea Worm Discovery -
These topics and more covered in our daily podcast, Project: Shadow Informant.
Headlines for November 13th
Here are some quick headlines for November 13th:
- GateWorld - Tapping's Sanctuary renewed for Season Two - Let us all do a happy dance. I love this show.
- Mignola Writing Witchfinder - I cannot wait to read it.
- Showtime Readies Lee's Gay Superhero - I hope they get this right. I am concerned this could become superheroes on ice...
- Heavy Metal Returns to Paramount? Zack Snyder, David Fincher, Gore Verbinski To Direct! | /Film - meh
- Splash Page » Ben Stiller’s Animated ‘Master Mind’ Shifts Robert Downey Jr. From ‘Iron Man’ Hero To Supervillain - Doomsday comedy remake, holding opinion for more info
- Cool Stuff: Bronze Yoda Statue Scale Replica | /Film - I want one of these in my front yard.
Don't forget to check out our daily Podcast. Your one resource for all the news that is news in the SF world
Wolverine and Iron Man Anime Series Forthcoming
A Quick update on my post from yesterday:
Madhouse is currently in production on the first of four new series (12 x 30 minutes), which are scheduled to launch in spring 2010. The initial series will feature characters including Iron Man and Wolverine, among others, and Madhouse will ultimately look to adapt the entire Marvel Universe, creating in essence a whole new character base for Marvel (Anime News Network)
So we now know that these are actual series, 12 episodes 30 minutes each and that Iron Man and Wolverine are 2 of the 4 in production. I hope Doc Strange is in the mix. I can only imagine that Anime glory that would be.
Iron Man v Grand Theft Auto, The Real Deal
While vying for similar audiences at the same time, "Grand Theft Auto IV" bested "Iron Man" by about $300 million in their respective first weeks on the small and big screens. The highly anticipated video game about immigrant gangster Bellic drove away with over $500 million, while the movie about Marvel billionaire superhero Stark blasted off with over $200 million worldwide (Yahoo! News).
Am I on glue or have the press completely lost their minds? Are people really comparing the sales of a game selling for $59.99 to $89.99 each to movie with an average ticket price of $7? (if you read on the article they even compares the sales to Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows)
Let us now sit down and compare Apples to Oranges.
I understand that there is very little going on in the entertainment industry right now to write about. The economy is in bad shape, we are suffering through another revenge of the sequel summer, and very few artists are doing anything to excite the desperate bloggers and journalists who have deadlines, but this is not a story.
Let's assume that everyone bought GTA at the lowest price (which they didn't), then 10,002,000 copies sold compared to 28,571,428 tickets at the average ticket price. Hmmm...
- 10,002,000 for GTA at the lowest price
- 7,143,877 for GTA at the average price of $69.99
- 28,571,428 for Iron Man
Now, I know these are nor accurate numbers. Brian and I only paid $5.50 each to see Iron Man, but the moral of the story is more people experienced Iron Man than GTA.
I now return to my original point: How is this a story?
There is absolutely no reason we should be comparing receipts for two products that are not in the same market and when one of the products average cost is 10 times higher than the other. Apples and Oranges.
Sam Jackson may be Nick Fury, So Back Off!
Samuel L Jackson has confirmed that he will playing Nick Fury in the upcoming Iron Man film... kinda, sorta, well, after a fashion, kinda, sorta, well after a fashion.
“Well [then] am indeed Nick Fury,” Jackson finally admitted, officially confirming his role for the first time. “But I don’t know if I’m gonna be in [”Iron Man”] though (MTV).”
But he refused to say whether he had shot any scenes, and adamantly refused to formally confirm that he will be playing the head of S.H.I.E.L.D.
In fact, he seemed to get quite angry with the interviewer. That just doesn't seem like a wise thing to do. He is Sam Jackson after all.
I look forward to maybe, or maybe not seeing him in the upcoming film.
(via Superhero Flix)