My name is Charlie, but if your looking for my work, I go by C. E. Dorsett. I write scifi, fantasy, and a touch of horror. I like to play with gothic, steampunk, decopunk, epic fantasy, and wuxia. I love to tell stories and talk about books, movies, series, and music.
Review- Sonic Boom by Kiss
[reus name="Music Review" meta="cd=Sonic Boom&artist=Kiss&release=October 6, 2009&recorded=2009 at Conway Recording Studios, Hollywood, California&genre=Hard Rock&length=43:07&label=KISS Records, Universal / Roadrunner&rating=10"] It took me a little while to figure out what I thought about the new Kiss album Sonic Boom for one major reason:
I am a huge Kiss fan. My sister started listening to them the year before I was born. Their music quite literally is the soundtrack of my life. They were the first band I ever saw in concert.
I rushed out and bought the album right away, and listened to it all the way through. First impressions can be misleading, but I really enjoyed it.
Kiss returned to their roots with this one. A 3 disc set: Sonic Boom (New Album), Kissology (Greatest Hits), Concert DVD. The cover is an homage to Rock and Roll Over, and in a lot of ways, so is the music. Sonic Boom feels like an album that has been a part of the catalogue for a long time. Fans of the band and this style of classic rock will love it. The usual suspects will not.
Paul wrote 9 out of the 11 tracks in whole or in part, as opposed to:
- Gene: 6/11
- Tommy: 3/11
- Eric: 0/11
Paul's influence on Sonic boom is easy to see, but it's definitely a Kiss album, and not like Paul's solo work. The one thing that could have made this album better is if Gene spent more time on his song writing and performance and less time promoting himself. He sounds distracted, and his songs feel incomplete, especially "Hot and Cold".
The Return of Kiss
The songs revolve around staples in the Kiss catalogue:
- Loving who you are
- Standing up for what you believe in
- Keeping your head up no matter what
- Sex (in a less direct way): "Danger Us" and "I'm an Animal"
Sonic Boom is a great Kiss album, and will be remembered as a high point for the band.
Straight on Rock: Sonic Boom returns us to the world of Rock music. Fun, moving, and inspirational.
Oh, Gene: Gene's songs are usually among my favorites, but on this one, it really feels like he phoned it in.
- Modern Day Delilah
- All For the Glory
Track List- Sonic Boom
- "Modern Day Delilah" Fun song. Paul brought his A Game to it!
- "Russian Roulette" This is probably the best song Gene sings on the Album
- "Never Enough" The music in this song reminds me a little of Poison's Nothing but a Good Time. Fun, pick me up song from Paul!
- "Yes I Know (Nobody's Perfect)" This is probably the best song Gene wrote on the album
- "Stand" I cannot hear this song without smiling.
- "Hot and Cold" This is probably the only song on the Album I might suggest you skip. The lyrics are a little too goofy, and their delivery is off. Tommy's guitar work is the best thing on the track.
- "All For the Glory" Eric blew me away with his vocal work on this one. The repeated chorus makes this a new anthem I will gladly throw my fist in the air and sing along to!
- "Danger Us" Fun
- "I'm an Animal" Gene... focus on the band again please.
- "When Lightning Strikes" Tommy's first song. He channels the Space Ace on this one.
- "Say Yeah" This song is my 4th favorite Track.
Track List- Kissology
Previously released exclusively for Japan as Jigoku-Retsuden
- "Deuce" Tommy nails the guitar, and Paul adds an little twist on the riff that brings this song to new heights.
- "Detroit Rock City" Eric's drumming, WOW, this song has a vitality about it it never had before.
- "Shout it Out Loud" Probably the only disappointing Track on the album, but for a weird reason. It is too well done. They sing the chorus... It's shout it out loud, not sing it out loud!
- "Hotter Than Hell" I really like the distortion on Paul's voice
- "Calling Dr. Love" Well done
- "Love Gun" Classic
- "I Was Made For Lovin' You" So much better than the original!
- "Heaven's on Fire" Perfect
- "Lick It Up"
- "I Love It Loud" I don't think I have ever heard a version of this song I didn't love
- "Forever" One of the best love songs ever recorded
- "Christine Sixteen"
- "Do You Love Me"
- "Black Diamond"
- "Rock and Roll All Nite"
Twitter Updates for 2008-01-22
- Going live at the half hour with P:SI # 70 - "Webcams from the Future" http://rurl.org/dib #
- I am looking for a good platform to post to my wordpress blog from my mac, live live writer on windows... http://tinyurl.com/2ftd8g #
- Hey Ya Folk Cover- This is the most solemn, and heart felt version of a goofy dance song I have ever he.. http://tinyurl.com/2l6fhm #
- Jonathan Coulton - Baby Got Back (live) http://tinyurl.com/2e4yge #
- Jay Brannon- str8 outta compton, **Explicit Lyrics** I literally ROFLMAO http://tinyurl.com/22o8lq #
Twitter Updates for 2008-01-12
- I am not able to get Postalicious working on the blog, does anyone have any suggestions #
- I need to name a ship for FH3, but nothing feels right. I thought i had figured this out but i didn't write it down and now can't remember #
- Oooo, I found it, thank the heavens, that was driving me batty #
- over halfway done with the outline, i have to take a short break, hmm to a galaxy far away for a bit. #
- How action packed is too action packed? this is my eternal struggle for the middle road. #
- Might Makes Write: Otep Shamaya Preaches Political Change http://tinyurl.com/yuxstb #
- Trying to get my the fog to clear so I can see the characters clearly, too many tangent, follow the path, can always visit them again. #
- Vauni Globe fireplace, I can see this as a part of my dream house. http://tinyurl.com/29ptv3 #
- I really should be outlinng right now #
- @Trula men are rarely imaginative enough to hold a single image in our heads, and we get fixated a little too easy, but oggling is bad. #
- Have Kappas become cliche? I don't think so #
- @Trula it is taught and enculturated into them through a media that tell men that they should only care about sex and being stupid. #
- @Trula at least where i live, sexism is healthy and strong, it is the root of homophobia and most of our social ills. We need a path out #
- Thanks @justinfeed for waking me up, and reminding me to let my voice be heard for the things I care about. Thank you so much http://ru ... #
- Maryland Defines Domestic Partners http://tinyurl.com/2t9a6b #
- Full Circle by dday, brilliant and thought provoking, thanks to Rachel Maddow http://tinyurl.com/2pojm7 #
- FH3 Outline is finished!!! I must do a dance, and have some popcorn http://tinyurl.com/2rnylp #
- Ace Frehley tour, my sister saw him on New Years Eve, loved it, i really want to catch him on this tour http://tinyurl.com/3ynxjl #
- Google Custom Search allows only 16 refinements total... not very custom is it... rethinking strategy #
- Pre-Inca fortress ruins discovered http://tinyurl.com/2ukugy #
- I am at the Wine Rack/Java Stop writing before the show, tonight, come on down http://tinyurl.com/yqfvz8 #
- Celtic/Blues Rock http://tinyurl.com/27kqko #
- The music of ELO just made me physically ill, I knew I didn't like them, but this is rediculous #
Twitter Updates for 2008-01-09
- The snark is overboard today, I hope not give in to the zeitgeist, onward to fun! #
- So much to talk about today, P:SI will be live at the half hour http://rurl.org/dib #
- Talkshoe live is not authenticating... grrrr... working on it #
- I am prety sure Talk Shoe is down again, or that I am just glitched, neither Brian nor I can sign in... #
- We are going to scrap the live show and just record... Talk Shoe makes me really angry some times, if we find out what happened I tell you #
- The rage is strong with this Episode, DarkSide Uber Alles, i have to chill for a bit. #
Top Ten Artist of the Week (12 Aug 2007 – 19 Aug 2007)
I have been listening to a lot of music lately, the writing is in full swing, so I thought I would share my Top Ten Artists from Project: Shadow’s Music Profile at Last.fm. I must say, I was surprised by the list a little, and as usual there are a lot of ties. My top 10 this week has 13 Artists in it. Not because it is such a luck number but because there are 10 songs tied for the number 4 slot on the chart. 4. Rob Zombie, Nightwish, Ann Wilson, Meat Loaf, Dio, HIM, Leave's Eyes, Type O Negative, Fields of the Nephilim, and Blackmore's Night.
- Rob Zombie
- I saw the trailer for the remake of Halloween, at at first I was angry. This is not the kind of film that needs to be remade. Then I saw that Rob Zombie was doing it. I shrugged and thought to myself that it could not be all that bad, and found myself playing more Zombie. My hopes are up.
- What can I say? I am surprised they didn't make it higher on the charts. Slaying the Dreamer is very close to my heart right now as I am writing the next chapter in Fate's Harrow.
- Ann Wilson
- Her first solo album is not out yet, but the Podfather played a track on the Daily Sourse Code, and I ran to the Podsafe Music Network right away to check it out. They have 2 tracks from the new album, Hope and Glory, Where to now St Peter (which she sings with Elton John) is an amazing tune, and her cover of the Immigrant Song blew me away. I am looking for ways to feature them in the Podcast.
- Meat Loaf
- What? Don't look at me like that! I am writing, I need the drama and Meat Loaf is good to write too. He was in the Tenacious D movie so, he is cool! Back off buddy. j/k
- For some reason, his Magica album has been in my thoughts lately. Probably because I want to make an animated film out of it.
- This is all Pandora's fault. I have been listening to Pandora a lot lately, and I am beginning to realize that I kinda really like HIM.
- Leave's Eyes
- Legend Land is the soundtrack of my fiction right now. I cannot wait for the next album.
- Type O Negative
- Fields of the Nephilim
- The Nephilim are one of the greatest bands ever. What more can I say?
- Blackmore's Night
- Pandora recently introduced me to this band. They are an amazingly fresh and exciting. Most of the write ups on them I found call them Gypsy Rock. Medieval meets classic rock, it is an instant winner.
- One of my all time top artists, for sure, but lately, I have been getting more and more songs stuck in my mind. Man, I wish their tour came closer to me, I would love to see them live again.
- Paul Stanley
- Songs like "Live to Win," "All about you," and "Wake up Screaming," have become instant classics for me, I just can't hear them enough. There may not be any more Kiss albums coming, but I hope Paul keeps them coming.
- Ok, I am sure you saw that coming. This has been a back to basics week for me, and there is no band closer to my heart than Kiss, and here they are yet again at number 1!