My name is Charlie, but if your looking for my work, I go by C. E. Dorsett. I write scifi, fantasy, and a touch of horror. I like to play with gothic, steampunk, decopunk, epic fantasy, and wuxia. I love to tell stories and talk about books, movies, series, and music.
Sci Fi Wire doesn't know the difference between Science Fiction and Fantasy
I was initially intrigued when I saw a post on Sci Fi Wire by Wil McCarthy called: Is Mysticism overtaking science in sci-fi?
It sounded interesting, and I really wanted to discuss the question until I saw the Movies they decided to pick on:
- Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs
- Paranormal Activity
- Harry Potter and the Half-blood Prince
Wait, wait, what? They picked a:
- Kid's Movie
- Horror Movie
- Fantasy Movie
- Fantasy Movie
- Disaster/Supernatural Horror Movie
They didn't list a single science fiction or sci-fi movie!!
The closest they came is maybe Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs, but that is like comparing Spy Kids to a James Bond movie.
Fantasy and Horror are genres that change something about the nature of the world to affect their Fantasy or Horror. That is the nature of these genres. Asking them to be scientifically accurate is to ask them to stop existing.
(sigh) I hope Sci Fi Wire would at the very least go to Wikipedia, and learn a little something about genre before they lose all their credibility on the issue...
If you would like to discuss Whether Mysticism is overtaking science in Sci fi, leave a comment below and let's get the conversation started.
Headlines for February 12th through February 18th
These are my links for February 12th through February 18th:
- Star Wars: The Old Republic | Game Overview -
- Farscape #2 sells out; to be reprinted - SFScope - Science Fiction, Fantasy, Horror -
- 'Dollhouse' debut gets decent ratings | Showbiz News and Scoop | Studio and Network Dish | EW.com -
- Leonardo DiCaprio To Reboot WarGames? | /Film -
- Scarlett Johansson to Replace Emily Blunt as Black Widow in Iron Man 2? | /Film -
- Spider-Man 4: vampire villain combines supernatural with superhero - SFFMedia -
- Tales of the Black Freighter Teaser Trailer - Project: Shadow HQ -
- The Launch Pad Astronomy Workshop for Writers is now taking applications | Mike Brotherton: SF Writer -
- Joss Whedon to receive Bradbury Award -
- YouTube Toolbox: 100+ Tools and Resources to Enhance Your Video Experience - Nice set of tools.
- SCI FI Wire: UPDATED: Batwoman's origin story to be told in Detective Comics -
- Get ready for a whole lot of gay TV coming from the UK | AfterElton.com -
- SCI FI Wire: Stellar cast signs on to U.K.'s new Day of the Triffids miniseries -
- Samuel Bayer to Direct Nightmare on Elm Street Remake | /Film -
- Alex Winter to Remake The Gate in 3D! | /Film -
- The Wachowski Brothers to Direct Superman Reboot? | /Film -
- Transformers 2: Devastator and Fallen Revealed | /Film -
- Twelve Animals: World maps as Chinese zodiac ::: Pink Tentacle -
- Star Trek The Experience To Re-open in May? (Maybe) | TrekMovie.com -
These topics and more covered in our daily podcast, Project: Shadow Informant.
Steampunk is a subgenre of Speculative Fiction with Science Fiction, Fantasy, and Horror manifestations. I am going to go out on a limb and define steampunk using the rubric established in Science Fiction. A story fits into the steampunk genre if the steam powered technology is integral to the plot. In other words, if the plot would have to be changed from the story to use anything other than steam as the basis of technology, then it is steampunk.
Steam, clockwork, and differential engines are often used to replicate modern technology. Robots are replaced with automata, and airships fill the skies.
Steampunk, like all of the -punk genres, approaches its characters and setting with an irreverent attitude, adapting the punk style and sensibility into the story.
Introductions & FAQs
- Brief Steampunk FAQ (Brass Goggles)
- James Roy's Steampunk Talk from 2003 Children's Book Council of Australia Conference in Hobart, Tasmania
- The Age of Steampunk (Boston Globe)
- Aether Emporium
- What is Steampunk?
- Steampunk Essentials
- Steampunk (Wikipedia)
- Retrofuturism (Wikipedia)
- The Art of Alex CF
- Brass Goggles
- Da Vinci Automata
- Jack of All Trades
- Steampunk Fashion
- The Steampunk Home
- The Steampunk Workshop
- Voyages Extraordinaires
Books, Movies, and Games
Desktops & Icons
- Aether Emporium (Wiki)
- Mechanical Marvels of the Nineteenth Century
- Steampunk Magazine
- Steampunkopedia (Link Site)
English posts that contain Steampunk per day for the last 30 days.
What did I miss? Is there anything that should or shouldn't be on the list? Let me know in the comments. Let's make this the best on stop shop for steampunk.
DoorQ.com Opens today
doorQ.com is suppose to be a portal for GLBT fans of Science Fiction, Fantasy and horror:
The site will feature original fiction, photos, comics, short films and serials along with genre specific news, reviews, and interviews. In addition, *"doorQ.com"* will have the latest in Web 2.0 social networking features such as user homepages, personal profiles, email, matchmaking, discussion boards, chat features, gaming forums, and breaking technology information.
doorQ.com started as an idea to create scripted Sci-Fi/Fantasy/Horror content with gay characters and themes for a long underserved segment of the gay community.
"I've been surprised at just how many Gays love Sci-Fi, Fantasy and Horror,
even from people I never imagined would be interested in the genre," "doorQ.com"* creator and Door Q Entertainment, LLC partner Jody Wheeler said. "Articles in previous editions of magazines such as *Fab,* *Wired News,* *The Advocate,* and the current issue of *OUT,* have all documented the appeal of such themes and entertainment to the Gay community "*doorQ.com"* makes it easier for such fans to watch, meet, share and have fun with others who have similar interests."
The site has just launches at 6:00 PM PST , but I hope it will be a great site. I will review it after I use the site more.
Following the Dream (Site Update)
I have completed the first stage in the revision of Project: Shadow. Every page has had something done to it, and there are many more changes and additions to come.Updates: